Monday, December 23, 2013

December 22nd: Colleen: Humble Honors


2013

The year ended the same way it began. I determinedly tried to balance motherhood, career, graduate school, and homemaker.  I had moments of confidence, humility, self-doubt, frustration and gratitude.  At times I felt victorious, inspired, defeated, exhausted and indecisive. Through it all I learned self-awareness, compromise and acceptance.

We settled down in our home that we bought last year, still in awe of the life we never imagined possible. Each day we made memories watching our boys grow, learn and play. With each pregnancy I prayed that my children would be happy, healthy, and smart. God blessed me with handsome, loving sons who exceeded my prayers.  My husband exemplifies fatherhood through his love, loyalty, and protection. I often wondered if I gave enough attention to my children and husband. Did I truly listen? Was I patient? Did I make them my priority? Have I taken them for granted?



 
 My career transitioned from bedside nurse on a bone marrow transplant floor to a leadership position on a thoracic surgery floor. Honored with two nursing awards that I never believed I deserved, I received attention that made me uneasy. In admiration of the recipients of honorees before me, I felt a tremendous responsibility to give back to the profession that gave me so much. Caring for cancer patients has taught me what it is to fight, to love, to suffer, to regret, and to hope. Each patient who has let me into their journey has made me a better person.

 Hopefully I did not dedicate countless hours to writing papers in vain. I couldn’t reclaim the sacrificed time with friends and family. How many times did I let the laundry overflow, my kids watch Yo Gabba Gabba, and my toenail polish get chipped? When would people realize that I wasn’t the graceful professional I tried so hard to present? Has perfectionism distracted me from learning to just be?




Meagan's side note: Colleen was selected as the recipient of the prestigious Ethel Fleming Arceneaux Award. Check out the video below, they surprised her at work with the announcement! Its really touching and such an honor!! Congratulations, Colleen!

No comments:

Post a Comment