Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23rd: Holly: Sisterly Advice

Looking back on the year of 2013, it was hard for me to pick a theme and I really struggled putting any of my thoughts into words. (I am not as talented as the wonderful owner of this blog and my bestie, Meagan Solomon). But I realized that I was searching for some big life-changing event that happened this year, so that my life wouldn’t sound too boring, but there really wasn’t one. So then I decided to just go with the flow.

 People who know me, know that I stress out too much and I am a worrier. J So, I really set out this year to find balance in my life. I have the most wonderful, amazing husband and two of the most adorable children with whom I get to stay at home with and take care of every day. I am truly blessed. And you would think that with everyday my daughter telling me “you’re the best Mommy in the world” that I would feel that I am just that. But I don’t. I feel like I yell too much and am constantly frustrated and disorganized.
 
It wasn’t until I was chatting with my older sister, who is studying Naturopathy that I realized that I just flat out wasn’t taking care of myself. As a mother, you know that the needs of your children often come before yours, but I was neglecting myself so much that I was suffering both mentally and physically. With my sisters help I started changing my diet and my mindset to see if I could finally find some balance.
 
But with this change came more challenges. I began on a vegan diet, which honestly was a pretty easy transition for me, but I began to stress about how to shop and cook for my family. Was I supposed to make my kids eat vegan? Or my husband? (Haha. I bet he’s glad I didn’t do that). Was I supposed to just buy my own things and the foods my family was used to? I felt that that would put too much strain on our one-income budget.
 
I bet now you get a sense of my worrying too much. 

But, with time and a better knowledge of vegan cooking, I realized that I was able to fit this lifestyle into our current routine. My children (and hubby) started eating more veggies, I was developing a new love for cooking and trying new recipes (and a stronger addiction to Pinterest), and I was feeling happier! I think that I found something that I could focus on that was for me and it gave me motivation to start myself on the path of better health and happiness.

I still have a long way to go, but thanks to my sisters advice I am truly taking care of myself now. It doesn’t hurt that her advice includes take long baths, and relaxing with a glass of wine on occasion.
 
I also have to take this opportunity to again thank my amazing, wonderful husband, Van. Who knows that this has been somewhat of a transition year for me, yet he supports me no matter what. Even if that means he eats tofu and quee-noh for dinner. Haha. I love you honey!!
 
Here’s to a healthy and happy 2014 for all my friends and family!

I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes from this year too! It is awesome! And it is sure to warm your soul.
 

Hearty Mushroom Barley Soup/Stew
·         1 Tablespoon Oil (I used olive)
·         ½ Medium Onion, slivered (about 1¼ cups)
·         ½ Cup Dry Barley, rinsed (I used the inexpensive pearl barley)
·         2 Large Garlic Cloves, Minced (or about 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic)
·         1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
·         8 Ounces Sliced Button or Cremini Mushrooms
·         4 Cups (1 quart) Beef or Mushroom Broth(I used veggie broth)
·         1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
·         1 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
·         1 Bay Leaf
·         ¼ -1 Teaspoon Salt to Taste
·         1 Teaspoon Miso Paste (or simply more salt to taste)
·         Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they are translucent. Reduce the heat just a touch, add the barley, garlic, and thyme, and sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes.  Stir in the mushrooms, followed by the broth, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaf, and I would start with ¼ teaspoon of salt and the miso if using. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and allow the soup to simmer for at least 1 hour, or until the barley is nice and tender.  Season to taste with additional salt (see my notes in the post above) and black pepper to taste. Enjoy!  


No comments:

Post a Comment