Saturday, December 21, 2013

December 21st: Erin: Working Girl

My job is amazing. I am brought into people's lives for a brief moment and am able to witness true transformation. I have held the hand of a man with no friends and no family so he wouldn't be alone when he died. I have been witness to courageous battles with terminal illness. I have met people that society would rather sweep under the rug, and they have truly touched and inspired me. This year, I left my nearly 10-year career in marketing for a position in palliative care as an advance care planning coordinator.

I had worked in the marketing department at the major academic medical center in San Antonio for several years until I left last year to be the marketing director for a private practice group. I thought I was unhappy in my work because of where I was. I thought, surely a big promotion, leading my own team, making the decisions would give me the satisfaction I had been looking for. Boy, was I wrong. Turns out, it wasn't where I was, but what I was doing.

When I got a call from a physician friend of mine, offering me the job, there was no thinking involved. Pass on an opportunity to join a team that I had long adored and respected? Don't think so! And there has been no looking back. Since starting my position in April, I have never once, not even for a second, questioned my decision or missed my old job. I cannot tell you how awesome that feels.

Advance care planning is determining a patient's beliefs, goals, and values and how that impacts their future healthcare decisions. Advance directives, or living wills, are a tool we use that you may have heard of; however, a document is a poor substitute for a conversation. That's where I come in. I facilitate the conversation. Usually it is with a patient that has just received a diagnosis of stage IV cancer, end-stage disease or organ failure, but advance care planning is good for anyone and everyone.

This position has really restored my faith in humanity. I know that's cliche, but I stopped watching the news years ago because people can be so ugly. Through my work, I have seen the hardest thug cry when he's scared, the meanest old man soften when he speaks of love, and the most timid young girl fight the hardest for life. I have witnessed miracles (there is no other word for them) and tragedies.

Each patient's story has left their mark on me and made me a better person. I'm a little more thankful each day for my life, my health, my friends, and my family. I hug my babies a little tighter each night and tell them I love them a little more often. I try to be a better person because I know the good is out there.

I had no idea what I was in for in 2013, but I am excited to see what 2014 holds. As long as I can continue to witness the tremendous strength of the human spirit, I know the future will be bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment